Sunday, October 15, 2006

Karaoke night...

A few of us went out for a night of karaoke last week. The outing had been on the cards for a while and there was more than a level of expectancy for many of us.

The place was called K-box, located bang in the center of downtown S'pore. I arrived with a couple of friends while the rest of the gang had already settled in. I must admit, when I first entered the place, I thought I was in the confines of one of S'pore's several dodgy bars. Dark, dungeoneque and a trifle decadent. See, I have been to karaoke bars in the US and they look very different...you have a corner for yourself, sure...but here, you got an entire room to yourself.

At first, I thought it was rather cut-off...but there was a coziness about the place that began to grow on all of us as time went by. Apart from my friends, there were a couple of tourists as well: a New Zealander named Richard who sang just like the Bee Gees front-man and looked a lot like someone I still haven't put my finger on. Damn, I hate when that happens. Anyway, we walk in and everyone was sitting there slightly purplexed as this guy was screaming out a song in Mandarin. Others were still trying to figure out how to use the remote.


The party then really kicked off with the ladies offering their rendition of an old "No Doubt" number. Stamatia, Laura and Shirine really let it rip and got things moving for the night. Ricard and I took turns with a couple of numbers and things were really flowing. After a while, someone realised that a few of the guys had been really quiet. So, Wajih was pulled out of the comfortable cocoon of his couch and thrown to the deep end. Only problem: once there, we had to kinda work hard to get him back! He just sang and sang and sang. To make things worse, our friend Kunal had this strage inkling that Wajih needed help with the song (Yeah right!). It was great stuff though. And since this is also Aussie-Kiwi week, I'll just say: Good on ya mates!


Satnam had also been conspicuously quiet, particularly since we are rather accustomed to his baritone voice constantly harping :-) All that changed once the G N' R number "Sweet Child O' Mine" came. Man, the guy went ballistic...just remember to keep the microphone close to your mouth next time mate. No, but he was awesome.

Amit had been harping all night about a song called "Can't touch this"...come to think about it, he's been saying that to me ever since I met him. What the hell? Do I look queer? So, anyway, when the song finally arrived, it was his turn to take the stage...and a great job he did too. Kyu had been kinda quiet all night as well, but he found his liking with U2's "With or Without You". I had the mike in my hand and the dude kept tugging at it! Awww, but we throated that soung out together. Great stuff !

Meanwhile, the resident metal-head, Gerritt, seemed a little disgusted by all the "happy shit" he saw around him! "Give 'em some Black Sabbath man", is all he kept saying. And congenial as we were, "Paranoid" was duly played.

Finally, things marooned to a fever pitch with a string of songs that everyone, to a man/woman, related to. We all kinda huddled together and sang a flurry of numbers together. In all, great stuff and great memories! On a parting note, since many of these friends are also currently running for Student Council elections, I wish them the very best. The pitch and your overall presentation today was awesome guys! Let the good times roll...