Sunday, April 06, 2008

Lord's...oh beautiful Lord's!


Well, thanks to a good friend, I've been playing at the nets at Lord's Cricket Ground for the past 3 weeks. For those who dont know, Lord's is commonly referred to as the home of international cricket.

I'm not really sure why...the first ever test match was played in Melbourne...and to be fair, while cricket was invented by the English, they've never really been the best at it...and this part of the world has ceased to be the center of the game for a long time now.

Still, ask any cricket fan and he/she will (albeit grudgingly) admit that there is something about the place...an X-factor...that does make Lord's special. Of course, until 3 weeks ago, I'd never been to Lord's. And I have to say, my first visit on a cold, snowy London morning did not disappoint. I've seen bigger gounds, bigger stadiums, grander settings...alright, St. John's Wood is a nice little township on its own, but Lord's sort of creeps up on you...located in the midst of dense suburbia. There's no approach...no far-away sighting to the ground as you approach it.

But the ground is steeped in history...and I guess thats what makes it so special now. You feel it...step on the ground and it consumes your entire being...the sound of the crowds, Kapil Dev lifting the '83 World Cup in that beautiful, beautiful but tiny little balcony...Harmison charging into bowl and nailing Ponting (and perhaps the rest of the Australian team in the now infamous 2005 Ashes) against all odds.
You stand there...breathe deep, close your eyes and its like you've been through it all...I was there!

And today...the sight of all sights. Lord's covered by the white virgin. Snow alas is rare in London...but she embraced the ground today. Timely I'd think...cuz if I could, I would...

1 Comments:

At 5:04 AM, June 08, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi milan! No posts from u again? Whats up? U can't get so busy! Cmon, u write well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home